Traduzir para Português

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Study Abroad-Epilogue

The end of study abroad came so much sooner than I thought it would. How do you write about this last month and a half when so much has happened. But we'll try.
The last month and a half I have:
-traveled to 7 Brazilian states (8 if will count São Paulo next week)
-gone to mass in a church that is older than the United States
-drank more Guaraná than is humanly possible
-been awed by the expanse of the Amazon river rainforest
-held a sloth and a caiman
-been part of a winning Water Polo Football team-the Ravenclaw Raiders
-watched Ronaldinho make a goal
-painted two houses
-walked 7 miles in flip-flops
-met the most amazing people.
The best part of this trip has been the people. Joe, my roommate and the study abroad group have been great and we have had some great times together. Saying goodbye wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. It was similar to the feeling my mission group had together in the airport when we all went our separate ways, you know you'll all meet up again, but you were together for so long.
There was the Jones family that took such good care of us, I hope they have a wonderful time in the United States with their family. They made my time in Recife, especially the time that I wasn't feeling very well, much more like being at home.
Vanessa did an amazing job of coordinating, teaching and taking great care of us. I know I'm not the only one who would be pretty sick if not for her advice and motherly care. Never has so much done by one person.
The sertanejos, the favelados, CCJ, the many people who went out of their way to help us, they all are part of the fabric made up of the amazing people who were a part of this trip. As complicated and different as Brazil is, there is always the warmth and goodness of the its people.
Anne Frank said "It's difficult in times like these: ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart. I simply can't build my hopes on a foundation of confusion, misery, and death."

I believe that this might be one more way to describe the people of Brazil. 
So even though this is the end of study abroad, I can't help but feel that it is only the beginning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment