Traduzir para Português

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Dr. Seuss and life

 Dr. Seuss's birthday is March 2. I remember in elementary school that we would read or watch the movie based on his books. I have always enjoyed Dr. Seuss' books, especially books like The Butter Battle Book where there is a much deeper cause behind the book. I feel that Seuss deals with complex problems like the Cold War, the environment and prejudice in a way that everyone can understand, even children.
Part of our Washington Seminar experience is to be involved in a service project and for Dr. Seuss' birthday I went to American University and teamed up with some of their students to go read some Dr. Seuss to local elementary children. It was really rewarding and interesting.

I was surprised by the picture
Our assigned book was Oh, the Places You'll Go! I have always enjoyed this book, but being in the middle of my program in college and being on in internship really hit some of the points home. For example, this one:

“You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed. 
You'll pass the whole gang and you'll soon take the lead.
Wherever you fly, you'll be best of the best.
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.

Except when you don't.
Because, sometimes, you won't.” 

I really liked that because I have always felt that I am a very driven person, but sometimes no matter what I do (for good or bad), things will not work out how I want them to. And I need to accept that even when things don't go my way that I can still find comfort along the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment