Traduzir para Português

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Venice of Brazil

Recife, Brazil. Known as the Venice of Brazil and it is easy to see why. With the sea on one side and many rivers on the other, the city is one of the most beautiful I have seen, and I haven't even been to the famous locations. Today was my first full day in Recife and I have to keep reminding myself that I am here to study and not to be a tourist (which I know will be taken care of starting on Monday with class with Prof. Fitzgibbon).
  I started the day off passing by a local pharmacy and enjoying every word spoken and understood while picking up a few items. Why bring shampoo on the plane when every single corner has a pharmacy? Afterwards I went down to the beach with Cindy and Jordan Guillory, who are living with the Jones as well, and Morgan Jones and Bianca, Morgan's friend. Morgan is 15 and her and her sister Mallory speak amazing Portuguese. We had a great afternoon, in which I wasn't burned, and I enjoyed the 'Cuidado de Tubarão' or 'Beware of Shark' signs all over the beach. Afterwards we went to the store with Bonnie Jones, who is taking great care of us. She is from Burley, Idaho and knows the Searle Family.
 In the supermarket I had to stop smiling because I enjoyed seeing all of the different brands, fruits and breads that fill my dreams of Brazil when in the United States. While going there and back Bonnie showed us around the neighborhood and around every corner was a store of park that I can't wait to get to know better, especially the açai and pizzarias. Hello extra pounds!
There is a very likely chance that tomorrow at church I will see Elder Romero who served with me in Brasilia, so I am excited to go to church tomorrow.

3 comments: