Traduzir para Português

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July





Happy Independence Day! Today we went to ABA for class and we had a 4th of July party with the students we met yesterday. There was a representative from the US Consulate and she gave a little speech and shared President Obama's 4th of July message to US government employees working overseas. It was nice, but she said that Thomas Jefferson wrote the Constitution. Thomas Jefferson was serving as minister of France at that time. He was key in writing the Declaration of Independence though. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.


Sometimes this Blogger thing is garbage...but you get the idea of my butchered photo
In the afternoon we went to the center of Recife Antigo (Old Recife) and went to a fantastic book store. It had a great selection of books but each price tag reminded me of the price of a society where few people see reading as a recreational activity. Books are very expensive in Brazil so I only bought one that I wanted. It is about German U-Boat attacks on Brazilian ships that helped Brazil enter the Second World War on the Allied side. I'm hoping to buy several more off Amazon when I return home. 

After that we went on a boat ride up the river to see some of the historic buildings and bridges. It was really beautiful and there was a guide that shared a lot about the history of Recife. I wanted to share some of my favorite pictures I took.
Legislative Hall






Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment