Traduzir para Português

Monday, July 16, 2012

Genipabu Beach


Today in Natal we had quite the adventure. It was a soccer-beach-dune buggy-speedo wearing type of day. In the morning some of us got together to play beach soccer, which was so much fun. While it is a lot harder to run around after the sand gets broken up, it was really competitive. Later we went to a beach called Genipabu. I think my first child will receive this name. The beach had amazing sand dunes behind it that ran straight into the ocean. It was really breathtaking, one of those picture perfect beaches. The sun is so powerful here and so even with my hourly sunblock applications I still burned. But it was worth it.
                


Thanks Blogger


We also were able to go on a crazy dune buggy ride. We had 1 in front and three on the back, sitting on top of the cushion. It was amazing to fly over the dunes. I went with Natalia, Vanessa and Berkeley and it was hilarious to hear Vanessa scream. Behind some of the sand dunes there are some lakes that are caused by the rainfall that collect for several months before evaporating away. It was an amazing landscape, with the sea on one side and the lakes among the sandunes. 
                When we got back, I was feeling really sore, sunburnt and my knee that had been ripped open was not looking pretty. I thought about going to bed before dinner, but then a sand soccer game was organized. Soccer is my Odysseus Siren where I just can’t resist.  It was an intense 3 vs. 3 game that lasted for about an hour. We ended the game at 3-3 and I had two goals. It was fun to see all of us improve as the game went on and by the end we had a great passing game going on.
                Then (wasn’t this day awesome?) we went to eat at a rodizio de pizza, which is like churrasco, but with pizzas. Think Tucanos meets pizza. It was amazing and it was fun to laugh and talk about the day. Tomorrow we are going to go to the more cultural parts of the city and then head home to Recife. With all that we have been doing the past few weeks with class and with the internship, it was nice to have a few days of relaxation and playing. I have really enjoyed trying to find the balance between work and play on study abroad, where trying to understand when one is most important to the experience. I know both are, but I also believe that there needs to be a balance. If we saw all the cultural events and wrote reports on everything about Brazilian culture it would be something really worth doing; but with being able to play and see some of the natural diversity and making friendships is something that cements the lessons learned in the classroom with the foundation of a worthwhile life.
So even with a beat up and ripped open knee, stubbed toe, sunburns all over and exhaustion, I am very happy.        

No comments:

Post a Comment